Wednesday, December 31, 2008

3,2,1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Another year, come and gone. Why is it that as we get older, time goes by so much more quickly? More commitments to eat away at our time, I suppose. The days just click by, one after another and before you know it, we're sending our kids off to college and drawing our social security. When I was pregnant the first time in 2001 (about 3 months so I hadn't even found out if I was having a boy or girl yet) it was August and the back to school ads were running on TV. My husband came in and I was sobbing in front of the television so when asked why, I said that because "before we know it, our baby will be going to school...boohoohoo". Now, when I cry...I cry like Lucy, so this was a big deal to me and it really kind of freaked him out. My baby was, in my head at least, already wearing a back pack at the imaginary bus stop, barely giving a half wave as he or she drove away starting his or her new life with all of his or her new friends. I also craved the smell of lawn mower tires at Sears so I guess comparatively speaking, it wasn't that odd and will chalk it up to hormones. Yet, here I sit, with my not so little one in first grade and although the scenario wasn't quite as grim as I had envisioned it, I can still taste the tears. Two babies followed and try as I might not to look too far ahead, it's hard not to notice how quickly time passes and how things change, often unnoticed. My resolutions of years past have been frivolous and even non-existant, but this year I feel a sense of urgency. A need to remember, to notice. To live in the moment. My greatest desire in this earthly life is to enjoy, nurture and experience my greatest blessing: my family. And as I have a first grader looking over my shoulder, it's time to go because he wants to cuddle with his mommy. Enjoy them while you can, they say. So I intend to do just that. Happy New Year!! Here's to you enjoying what you have been blessed with, whatever or whomever that may be.

No comments: