Thursday, December 25, 2008

The fat lady sings at 9am

If I only had a nickle for every time I heard myself say, "Christmas is over people...TAKE DOWN THE DECORATIONS!!!" I guess I should mention though that I usually start saying that on the 26th and I always say it out loud. I can't help it!! If it were up to me, there would be no tree in my den right now and it's still officially Christmas day...or, night. But, in keeping with tradition, one of the first (and I mean very first) things I'll do in the morning is take down the tree, drag that sucker out back and remove any signs of Christmas from the house. I consider it my little birthday gift to myself. The only thing that will stay up is the rediculously huge blow up Santa in the yard so he can dry out before going back in the box and on the shelf in the garage. Now, any that stumble onto this that don't know me might think that I don't like Chrsitmas. Oh, but no!! I'm totally in LOVE with Christmas!! But when it's over...it's OVER!! I know some people leave their trees up til after the new year...some crazy nonsense about it being good luck...but I just don't get it. Snowman are ok because they're winter type folk people...whatever... but Santa's, Christmas lights and (please forgive me Jesus) manger scenes have gotta go!! I've tried to assess the reason behind my tree issues but come up empty every time. I guess it just boils down to not liking a tree with nothing under it. It's there to put presents under and when there are no more, then what's the point??? The annual trip to the tree farm is a big deal for our family (except this year as stated in the most recent 13) and the decorating is one of my favorite traditions. But let that last present be removed from underneath and I'm ready to toss it in the chipper. Well, that said, how bout another slideshow??? Just turn the music back up in case you got tired of listening to the same sont over and over.
Merry Christmas everybody and Happy Birthday Jesus. Thank You for grace, mercy and the opportunity to know and love You.

~

ps...The cedar tree being cut down in the pictures is one we found in the woods at Nana and Papa's when we went to visit. They have an artificial tree and I thought it would be a better memory for the kids if we drove up into the woods on the golf cart and cut one down instead of getting there and there being a fake one already up. It was a charlie brown tree but the boys and I made every ornament on it. It was probably one of the most special trees we've ever had. I've got to start keping tissues on my desk.

No comments: