Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Do I look Omish to you???

Few would argue that Jesus really is THE reason for the season. And the boys are well aware of the importance of said reason and also the importance of giving. But, for the older two, at 4 and 6, receiving is a dangerously close third. Sure I was smart and got the Wii back in the summer and had the restraint to leave it in the box in the pillow case on my closet shelf but I was at Wal-Mart at 7:00 this morning to buy Bakugan balls that I've been trying to get my hands on since August. I was about two visits away from a restraining order from the lady in the toy department when I decided that maybe calling was a better/safer alternative. That said, I was there at 7 because I called at 9 the night before to see if they were coming in and was told to call back inthe morning. I called at 6. Once I found out that they had a "few" I was out the door....not to the one by MY house but the one in the next town. The way they've been flying off the shelves, I was ready. Coffee in hand with a pretty good caffine buzz pushing me toward the toy department and I didn't even have my purse. I had my credit card in my back pocket, my keys nerveously twisting on my finger and was ready to go hand to hand with any crazy, buggy pushing moms I came up against. I had psyched myself up and convinced myself that I'd take on anybody that wasn't either pregnant or holding a baby but anybody else was fair game. Ok, maybe not old people, but anybody else!! And for once in my life there wasn't a kid strapped in the front of my cart to slow me down. I was determined, if necessary, to crawl on my hands and knees to get to the front of the pack and take somebody down to get what I wanted for my little boy!! I had visions of women wresteling on the floor like those crazy girls fighting over the last discount wedding dress in Feiline's basement. I passed the greeting cards, the linens, I was getting closer...I saw the bikes hanging from that big tall rack thing..."I wonder how many people will be gathered in the aisle???" I felt my heart begin to race...My steps were quick and I think I was even talking to myself...Then I rounded the corner, saw the Bakugan sign hanging in the aisle and spotted what I had been waiting for...Throngs of angry moms? Noooo...Two guys talking about football. I gotta tell ya...I was a little disappointed. No pushing or arguing about who had what first. No tugging back and forth over the last pack and shouting why one deserved it more than the other. Nothing. Just deciding which of the boys gets which colors. But wait...there was some excitement after all.....I bought a farm puzzle for the baby. Merry Christmas!!

No comments: