Friday, June 13, 2008

If it's Sunday, It's Meet the Press

I'll miss hearing those familiar words that, as it was, I didn't get to hear often enough. We're at church most Sundays when the show was on but if we found ourselves at home with a sick little one or out of town, it was always a favorite. The unexpected passing of Tim Russert today brought back memories of the sadness I felt just a little over 5 years ago when David Bloom died. It's funny how TV personalities that we've never even met become such a part of our lives and we all have our favorites that we trust to tell us about those things we either want or need to know about. I know about as much about politics as I do about how to change my own oil but I really enjoyed learning from him. He asked the questions that I wish I had the sense to ask but yet I got the benefit of the answers. One of the things that I liked most about him was that he brought so much of himself to what he did. Anyone who watched even occasionally knew about his wife Maureen, his much loved son, Luke, and his dad, Big Russ. You don't usually hear "serious" news people share the way he did. I'll really miss him.

No comments: